Legal Assistant – (LEGAST_05192022)
Position Summary: (Part-Time 20 hours per week- 1:00pm to 5pm)
The Legal Support position will provide clerical services required to perform the tasks related to the support of the USAO by providing a variety of direct assistance to the Administrative Officer, Human Resources Officer, Contracting Officer, Assistant United States Attorney’s, paralegals, legal assistants, and other USAO personnel. Additionally the Legal Support position may also serve as the main office receptionist on a temporary basis, but the main duties are more related to providing litigation clerical support.
- Responsible for routine file maintenance, including maintaining backup copies of original files, as well as working files.
- May be required to assist with scanning and indexing of legal documents.
- Answers telephone calls.
- Controls access, ensuring visitors are properly cleared, badged and authorized entry to the office space. - Notifies staff members of visitors or incoming calls.
- Takes messages as necessary.
- Receives and escorts visitors.
- Advises callers or visitors of appropriate Federal, State or local agencies to contact concerning matters - outside the USAO’s purview and furnishes the needed address or telephone number when available.
- Organizes in-house meetings, sends invitations, manages office calendar for attorneys.
- Performs administrative tasks and small projects such as updating directories, data entry, filing, and document development/preparation.
- Performs quality control over own work.
- Provides additional litigation clerical support to the Marquette Branch Office Legal Assistants.
- Assist’s USAO staff with archiving records according to established file management plans.
- Be available to perform back-up reception duties.